Ash Tree Class
2019 - 2020
HOW TO SUPPORT YOUR CHILD’S LEARNING
- Read with them every day, asking lots of questions to check their understanding and discussing tricky vocabulary. Ask your child if they won a house point for their reading last week!
- Help your child achieve all their times tables awards. Regular use of Mathletics or Hit the Button can be a huge help here.
- Encourage them to earn all their gold bars on Mathletics – which covers the majority of the maths curriculum. They can win a gold bar by achieving at least 85% on a task.
- Encourage use of the school’s Spelling App - both weekly spellings and the Word Walls for essential high-frequency words.
- Help your child to reflect on their homework by looking back on aspects they found tricky or doing extra research.
INFORMATION FOR PARENTS
Welcome to our class page!
Year 5/6 Ash is taught by Miss Bairstow with support from Mrs Senior.
The information detailed below will be updated for the 2019/20 academic year. For now, please click here to see your child's class newsletter.
HOME READING: This will be central to your child’s learning this year. The expectation in Year 5 is that children read for 20 minutes at least 3 times per week – however those who make outstanding progress often read 5 or more times! Please record the book and page number in your child’s reading record. Finished books will be changed every Tuesday and Friday.
HOMEWORK: English and maths homework is given every Friday – to be returned the following Wednesday. Please ensure your child does not forget the basics (neat handwriting, capital letters, full stops, etc).
SPELLINGS: These are given every Friday and tested the following Friday. They can be practised online by logging onto our Spelling App from this page and clicking on 'Year 5'. Children can also access the various Word Walls of essential high-frequency spellings.
PE: Oak Tree Class usually have PE on Tuesdays and Wednesdays. Ash Tree Class usually have PE on Wednesdays and Fridays – however this can change due to the weather. Therefore please ensure your child brings their full PE kit (including trainers) every Monday – they can be taken home at the weekend for washing.