Ash Tree Class - Year 5/6
Summer Curriculum Overview: Ancient Greece
- English: Pupils will be developing their writing skills by writing letters, persuasive leaflets, a myth and poetry.
- Reading: Our class reader is 'Who Let the Gods Out' by Maz Evans. Pupils will be reading through this text and answering a range of questions to support their comprehension. In addition, the children will be completing a range of comprehension-based activities linked to the topic.
- Maths: Y5: decimals, properties of shape, position and direction and converting units
Y6: SATs revision, statistics, properties of shape
- Science: Earth and Space
- Computing: Programming: using a block-based programming language to explore count-controlled and infinite loops when creating a game and Film Development: developing ideas, capturing images and filming sequences and adding special effects.
- Music: observe accuracy in pitch and rhythm before composing body percussion patterns.
- Art: Seaside
- Geography: Greece; Explain how Ancient Greece was affected by its geographical features. Use books and digital technology (e.g. Google Street View) to identify geographical features of modern Athens and compare it to Yeadon. Describe some of the differences between Athens and Sparta.
- History: Ancient Greece; Describe some of the religious beliefs of the Ancient Greeks. Understand when and where the Ancient Greeks lived. Retell some Ancient Greek myths. Compare the reliability of primary and secondary sources of Ancient Greek history. Place key events from Ancient Greek history in chronological order. Make connections between Ancient Greece and modern life.
- PE: Football and netball
- RE: How do Jews remember the Kings and Prophets in worship and life? How can people express spirituality?
- PSHE: Growing and Changing and Being my Best
- French: Holidays and hobbies.