Welcome to our class page!
Year 5 - Oak Tree Class is taught by Mrs Amos and Miss Simms, with support from Miss Sanderson and Miss Suggitt
If you need to speak to us, please see us during drop-off times before/after school, email email@example.com or call 0113 3910906 and we will respond as soon as possible.
Spring Curriculum Overview: My Region and the Western USA - Rivers and Mountains
- English: Pupils will be developing their writing skills by writing a non-chronological report, an adventure story and a newspaper report.
- Reading: Our class reader is 'King of the Cloud Forests' by Michael Morpurgo. Pupils will be reading through this text and answering a range of questions to support their comprehension. In addition, the children will be completing a range of comprehension-based activities linked to the topic.
- Decimals and percentages
- Perimeter, area and volume
- Science: Properties and changes of materials
- Computing: Computer Science
- Music: Sing Up
- Art: North American Art (landscapes)
- Geography: Comparing two regions
- PE: Tag rugby and OAA (Outdoor Adventurous Activities)
- RE: What do Christians believe about Jesus’ death and resurrection? and How does growing up bring responsibilities?
- PSHE: Rights and Responsibilities and Keeping Myself Safe
Our Weekly Routines
Home Reading: This will be central to your child’s progress this year. The expectation in Year 5 is that pupils read for 10 - 15 minutes, 5 times per week. Please record the book and page number in your child’s home reading record, which needs to be brought into school everyday.
Finished books need to be returned to school, where they will be reviewed and changed.
Spellings: Pupils will be introduced to a weekly spelling pattern on a Friday. They will complete a range of activities throughout the week, in school, relating to this spelling pattern.
Homework: This will be issued on a Friday and returned the following Wednesday. Please encourage your child to check the basics carefully (neat handwriting, capital letters, full stops) and to take pride in their presentation.
PE: Oak Tree Class have PE on a Thursday and Friday. On these days, children will need to come to school in their PE kits (including suitable footwear) and will stay in their kits all day. They may also wear a school jumper or Rufford Park hoodie. Please ensure your child can cover their ear piercings/has removed ear piercings/jewellery before school or can do so independently before PE lessons.