Oak Tree Class - Year 5
Welcome to our class page!
Year 5 - Oak Tree Class is taught by Mrs Amos with support from Miss Sanderson and Miss Suggitt
If you need to speak to us, please see us during drop-off times before/after school, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 0113 3910906 and we will respond as soon as possible.
Autumn Curriculum Overview: The Victorians in Yeadon - Who was William Murgatroyd?
- English: Pupils will be developing and using a range of skills through writing a biography, information text, diary entry, narrative description and poetry.
- Reading: Our class reader 'Street Child' links to our Victorian topic. Pupils will be reading through this text and answering a range of questions to support their comprehension as well as completing a range of varied comprehension tasks.
- Maths: Building on place value knowledge, using all four operations to answer problems and fractions.
- Science: Forces; recognising how different forces affect objects.
- Computing: Digital literacy – Internet communication and online safety.
- Music: Ukuleles
- D & T: Exploring structures
- History: The Victorians; building on chronological understanding, making comparisons between past and present and researching historical figures.
- Geography: Local area and study of William Murgatroyd; locating points of interest on a map and understanding human geography.
- PE: Hockey/football and dance
- RE: What does it mean to be a Sikh?
- PSHE: ‘Me and my relationships’ – developing team building and communication skills.
- French: Phonics and the date
- Reading for pleasure – sharing book tips with our friends and discovering new favourite writers.
Click here for a wonderful list of recommended reads for Year 5 children!
- Becoming more resilient by taking risks with our learning – both inside and outside the classroom (e.g. through drama or school trips).
- Reflecting on our work and learning from our mistakes (FAIL = First Attempt In Learning!).
- Improving our handwriting and presentation.
Our Weekly Routines
Home Reading: This will be central to your child’s progress this year. The expectation in Year 5 is that pupils read for 10 - 15 minutes, 5 times per week. Please record the book and page number in your child’s home reading record, which needs to be brought into school everyday.
Finished books need to be returned to school, where they will be reviewed and changed.
Spellings: Pupils will be introduced to a weekly spelling pattern on a Monday. They will complete a range of activities throughout the week, in school, relating to this spelling pattern.
Homework: This will be issued on a Friday and returned the following Friday. Please encourage your child to check the basics carefully (neat handwriting, capital letters, full stops) and to take pride in their presentation.
PE: Oak Tree Class have PE on a Tuesday and Wednesday. On these days, children will need to come to school in their PE kits (including suitable footwear) and will stay in their kits all day. They may also wear a school jumper or Rufford Park hoodie. Please ensure your child can cover their ear piercings/has removed ear piercings/jewellery before school or can do so independently before PE lessons.