Cedar Tree Class - Year 3/4
INFORMATION FOR PARENTS 2023-24
Welcome to our class page.
In Year 3/4 Cedar class, the children are taught by Mr Dring with further support from Mr Fones, Mrs Wakefield and Miss Sanderson.
Curriculum overview: Autumn 2023
Autumn Curriculum Overview: The Vikings and Anglo-Saxons
- English: Children will be writing to inform and entertain through a variety of descriptive writing pieces.
- Reading: Our whole class reader is part of series 'Thorfinn the Nicest Viking’ ('and the Terrible Treasure') by David MacPhail. Children will be reading through this text and other age appropriate texts. They will be answering a range of questions to support their comprehension. In addition, the children will be completing a range of other comprehension, reading for pleasure and reading fluency based activities.
- Maths: Place value, addition and subtraction, multiplication and division.
- Science: Biology-Skeletons, Movement and Nutrition and Diet.
- Media: Animation
- Computer Science: Repetition in Shapes
- Music: Sing Up
- Art: British Art
- History: The Vikings and Anglo-Saxons – trip to Murton Park week 3
- Geography: Using atlases to develop knowledge of the wider world using the Norway as a focus.
- PE: Lacrosse, Handball (Year 3 and 4) and swimming (Year 4 only)
- • How are important events remembered?
• What faiths are shared in our country?
- PSHE: Me and my relationships and Valuing difference
- French: All About Me
HOME READING: This will be central to your child’s learning this year. The expectation in Year 3 and 4 is that children read for 10-15 minutes at least 5 times per week. Reading scheme books will be changed once every week - to be finished by the following week. Please record the book and page number in your child’s reading record (you are welcome to include books from home and 'free choice' books from our class library).
Reading records should be brought to school every day so that we can further support your child's reading progress because I would like the opportunity to read with your child as much as possible during the learning week.
HOMEWORK: English or Maths homework is given every Friday – to be returned by the following Wednesday. Please encourage your child to also check the basics carefully (neat handwriting, correct capital letters, full stops) and to take pride in their presentation. If you or your child are unsure how to complete the task set, please let me know as soon as possible so that I can successfully support you.
TIMES TABLES: Instant recall of all times tables up to x12 is a crucial foundation of Mathematics. This year, the Department for Education is continuing with the statutory Multiplication Tables Check for Year 4s around the country. We strongly advise regular practice at home for Years 3 and 4 - this could include chanting, copying them out, being tested by an adult, or using online resources - e.g. TT Rockstars, Hit the Button, Maths Frame, Daily 10 or Topmarks. Squeebles is also a very popular and effective app used by parents for Maths (and spellings!).
SPELLINGS: These are given every Friday in homework books and tested the following Friday.
PE: Cedar Tree Class have P.E on Wednesday and Friday. Friday will be split into Year 3 P.E in school and Year 4 Swimming lessons.
Please make sure your child comes to school in their P.E kit on P.E days. They may wear navy tracksuit bottoms and a Rufford Park hoodie or school jumper over the top. Earrings must be removed for P.E unless recently pierced. If your child cannot remove their own earrings please make sure they come to school without them on the days of their P.E lessons.
Please also ensure your child's clothing is labelled with their name.