Willow Tree Class - Year 3
INFORMATION FOR PARENTS
Wishing you a very warm welcome from Miss Simms! Below you will find our curriculum overview for the Autumn term as well as some additional resources to support your child's learning.
Please contact the School Office or use the class email address to let me know if there's anything else I can do to support your child's learning!
Autumn Term spelling overview can be found here...
CURRICULUM OVERVIEW (Autumn 2021)
- Topic: We’ll be learning about the Vikings and Anglo-Saxons… beginning with a trip to the Viking village of Danelaw at Murton Park!
- English: Myths and legends, information texts, newspaper reports, recounts, stories with a familiar setting. Our class reader will be "The Iron Man" by Ted Hughes.
- Maths: Number and place value; using efficient strategies for addition, subtraction, division and multiplication; using known facts and skills to solve real life problems.
- Science: Working scientifically; animals and humans.
- Computing: Using Purple Mash to understand online safety, effective searching and email.
- Music: Three Little Birds, improvisation, Christmas songs.
- Art & DT: Artwork linked to Vikings and Anglo-Saxons topic.
- History: Developing chronology and enquiry skills through the study of the Vikings and Anglo-Saxons.
- Geography: Using maps and globes to develop core geographical knowledge.
- PE: Handball and Badminton (Fisical Sports).
- RE: How are important events remembered in ceremonies?
- PSHE: Me and my relationships; Valuing difference.
- French: All About Me (classroom instructions, clothes, colours, actions, my body).
This year, alongside the school curriculum we plan to focus on...
- Reading for pleasure – sharing book tips with our friends and discovering new favourite writers.
- Becoming more responsible and independent - with a change in Key Stage comes a change in the level of responsibility and independence your child has. We are working hard to make sure we take responsibility for our own learning and our own actions.
- Learning our times tables.
- Improving our handwriting.
HOME READING: This will be central to your child’s learning this year. The expectation in Year 3 is that children read for 10-15 minutes at least 5 times per week. Reading scheme books will be handed out every Friday and should be brought into school every day. Please record the book and page number in your child’s reading record.
HOMEWORK: English and maths homework is given every Friday – to be returned by the following Wednesday. We use our homework books in school for our spelling tests and times tables tests on a Friday so please make sure these are returned on time. Please encourage your child to check the basics carefully (neat handwriting, capital letters, full stops) and to take pride in their presentation.
TIMES TABLES: We strongly advise regular practice at home for Year 3, this could include chanting, copying them out, being tested by an adult, or using online resources - e.g. TT Rockstars, Hit the Button, Mathletics, Maths Frame, or Topmarks. Squeebles is also a very popular and effective app used by parents for maths (and spellings!).
SPELLINGS: The new Year 3 spellings are given every Friday and tested the following Friday. Additionally, during the Autumn term, we are focusing on Year 2 common exception spellings to make sure we can include these accurately within our work. (These can be found by clicking here.)
PE: Willow Tree Class have PE every Tuesday and Friday. On these days, children may arrive in school in their PE kits and will stay in their kits all day. Children may also wear a school jumper or plain hoodie. Please ensure all jewellery is removed or that your child is able to remove it independently. All uniform and PE kit should be clearly labelled with your child's name.
HOW TO HELP YOUR CHILD MAKE
- Read with them every day, asking lots of questions to check their understanding and discussing tricky vocabulary.
- Help your child learn all their times tables. Regular use of TT Rockstars, Mathletics, Hit the Button or Squeebles can be a huge help here.
- Encourage them to earn all their gold bars on Mathletics – which covers the majority of the maths curriculum. They can win a gold bar by achieving at least 85% on a task.
- Encourage use of the school’s Spelling App (log in below) to practise Word Walls 2 to 4 for essential high-frequency words.
- Help your child to reflect on their homework by looking back on aspects they found tricky or doing extra research on areas they are curious about.
FIRST WEEK BACK...
Welcome to Willow Tree Class!
All the children have settled extremely well into the new routines and we have been finding out all sorts of exciting things this week! We are looking forward to a fantastic year of learning!
Click here to read last year's blog...
RECOMMENDED READING FOR YEAR 3...