Welcome to Ash Tree Class!
INFORMATION FOR PARENTS
Welcome to our class page! Year 5 Ash is taught by Mr Bentham with support from Mrs Hand. We’re looking forward to a great year of learning – feel free to come and talk to us at the beginning or end of each day.
This year, alongside the school curriculum we plan to focus on...
- Reading for pleasure – sharing book tips with our friends and discovering new favourite writers.
- Becoming more resilient by taking risks with our learning – both inside and outside the classroom (e.g. through drama or school trips).
- Reflecting on our work and learning from our mistakes (FAIL = First Attempt In Learning!).
- Achieving all our times tables awards.
- Improving our handwriting.
HOME READING: This will be central to your child’s learning this year. The expectation in Year 5 is that children read for 20 minutes at least 3 times per week – however those who make outstanding progress often read 5 or more times! Please record the book and page number in your child’s reading record. Finished books will be changed every Tuesday and Friday.
HOMEWORK: English and maths homework is given every Friday – to be returned the following Wednesday. Please ensure your child does not forget the basics (neat handwriting, capital letters, full stops, etc).
SPELLINGS: These are given every Friday and tested the following Friday. They can be practised online by logging onto our Spelling App from this page and clicking on 'Year 5'. Children can also access the various Word Walls of essential high-frequency spellings.
TIMES TABLES: Instant recall of times tables is a crucial foundation of the more advanced maths we’ll tackle this year. Children are therefore expected to practise at home regularly (Mathletics and Hit the Button can help here). They have the chance to achieve their times tables award every Monday lunchtime. Winners are announced in Celebration Assembly on a Friday. By the end of Year 5, every child should have achieved their Super Gold award (all multiplication / division facts up to x12).
PE: Oak Tree Class usually have PE on Tuesdays and Wednesdays. Ash Tree Class usually have PE on Wednesdays and Fridays – however this can change due to the weather. Therefore please ensure your child brings their full PE kit (including trainers) every Monday – they can be taken home at the weekend for washing.
YEAR 5 HIGHLIGHTS
AUTUMN: Our topic on World War 2... a trip back in time at Eden Camp... visits from Carlo Harrison (local history) and Judith Rhodes (Kindertransport)... Harvest Festival... visit from author Tom Palmer... Drama Club performing Romeo & Juliet at the Shakespeare Schools Festival... Christmas Concerts.
HOW TO SUPPORT YOUR CHILD’S LEARNING
- Read with them every day, asking lots of questions to check their understanding and discussing tricky vocabulary. Ask your child if they won a house point for their reading last week!
- Help your child achieve all their times tables awards. Regular use of Mathletics or Hit the Button can be a huge help here.
- Encourage them to earn all their gold bars on Mathletics – which covers the majority of the maths curriculum. They can win a gold bar by achieving at least 85% on a task.
- Encourage use of the school’s Spelling App - both weekly spellings and the Word Walls for essential high-frequency words.
- Help your child to reflect on their homework by looking back on aspects they found tricky or doing extra research.
Eden Camp Trip
We had a fantastic day out at Eden Camp in Malton as part of our WW2 topic! This unique modern history museum was built on the grounds of a former prisoner of war camp. The children experienced the sights, sounds and smells of life on the Home Front and Front Line - including the Blitz, a German U-boat and a 1940s music hall.
Click below for photo highlights!