Welcome to Beech Tree Class!
INFORMATION FOR PARENTS
Welcome to our class page! Beech Tree Class is taught by Mr Bentham and Miss Watson. We’re looking forward to a great year of learning – feel free to come and talk to us at the beginning or end of each day.
This year, alongside the school curriculum we plan to focus on...
- Reading for pleasure – sharing book tips with our friends and discovering new favourite writers.
- Becoming more resilient by taking risks with our learning – both inside and outside the classroom (e.g. through drama or school trips).
- Reflecting on our work and learning from our mistakes (FAIL = First Attempt In Learning!).
- Achieving all our times tables awards.
- Improving our handwriting.
HOME READING: This will be central to your child’s learning this year. The expectation in Year 4 is that children read for 20 minutes at least 3 times per week – however those who make outstanding progress often read 5 or more times! Please record the book and page number in your child’s reading record. Finished books will be changed daily.
HOMEWORK: English and maths homework is given every Friday – to be returned the following Wednesday. Please ensure your child does not forget the basics (neat handwriting, capital letters, full stops, etc).
SPELLINGS: These are given every Friday and tested the following Friday. They can be practised online by logging onto our Spelling App from this page.
TIMES TABLES: Instant recall of times tables is a crucial foundation of the more advanced maths we’ll tackle this year. Children are therefore expected to practise at home regularly (Mathletics and Hit the Button can help here). They have the chance to achieve their times tables award every Monday lunchtime. Winners are announced in Celebration Assembly on a Friday. By the end of Year 4, every child should have achieved their Super Gold award (all multiplication / division facts up to x12).
PE: We usually have PE on Wednesdays and Thursdays – however this can change due to the weather. Therefore please ensure your child brings their full PE kit (including trainers) every Monday – they can be taken home at the weekend for washing.
YEAR 4 HIGHLIGHTS
AUTUMN: Our topic on the Anglo-Saxons and Vikings... a trip back in time to Danelaw... Harvest Festival... Art Day... Drama Club performing at the Shakespeare Schools Festival... Christmas Play.
SPRING: Our topic on India & Fairtrade... start of weekly swimming lessons... School Talent Show... Geography Week 2018... a very special trip to Nell Bank!
SUMMER: Our topic on Ancient Egypt... Skipping Festival... a visit from Tempus Fugit historical drama group... Science Fest... a visit from bestselling author Saviour Pirotta... Sports Day.
EXTRA-CURRICULAR FUN: Drama Club, guitar lessons, Football Club, Lego Club, Lunchtime Club, Mathletics Club, seasonal sporting events and more!
HOW TO SUPPORT YOUR CHILD’S LEARNING
- Read with them every day, asking lots of questions to check their understanding and discussing tricky vocabulary. Ask your child if they won a house point for their reading last week!
- Help your child achieve all their times tables awards. Regular use of Mathletics or Hit the Button can be a huge help here.
- Encourage them to earn all their gold bars on Mathletics – which covers the majority of the maths curriculum. They can win a gold bar by achieving at least 85% on a task.
- Encourage use of the school’s Spelling App - both weekly spellings and the Word Walls for essential high-frequency words.
- Help your child to reflect on their homework by looking back on aspects they found tricky or doing extra research.
We had a fantastic day out in September - living the life of Vikings at the Danelaw Centre for Living History, near York. Throughout the day, the children learnt to farm the land, guard their village from Anglo-Saxons, grind flour, bake bread, collect firewood, create their own pottery... and much more besides! One child commented: "I wish we could be Vikings every day!"
Find out what Year 4 got up to last year by clicking here.